Making my way through Genesis, I could not help but notice the similarity between Creation account in Genesis 1-2 and the proceedings surrounding the Flood in chapters 7-8.
- The animals in Genesis 7:15 come to Noah to be brought in to the ark, similary to their coming to Adam to be named in Genesis 2:20.
- Genesis 7:23 tells of the destruction of “people, animals, creatures that creep along the ground, and birds of the sky”–reversing the order given in the earlier creation account of Genesis 1.
- In Genesis 7:24 water again covers the earth as in Genesis 1:2.
- Genesis 8:1 says that “God caused a wind to blow over the earth” causing the waters to recede, just as in Genesis 1:2 “the Spirit of God [or “wind from/breath of God” cf. NRSV] was moving over the surgace of the water”
- Genesis 8:17 recapitulates the blessing to “be fruitful and multiply on the earth!” originally given in Genesis 1:28.